Friday, February 5, 2010

Smell the Roses

I just had to write this morning even though I was committed to getting my much-needed housework done today. I know I promised in my last blog to continue on where I left off on my history way back in November after taking time to reflect on my Christmas experience. But today as I sat eating breakfast and watching the birds out my kitchen window another "reflection" flooded my brain, and I just can't ignore it.

Before Christmas, my husband came to me and asked, "What do you want for Christmas?" He continued, "I mean is there something you would REALLY, REALLY like but would never ask for?" I know he was waiting for me to confess to wanting some pricey, impractical, or selfish gift, which I could tell he was willing to provide no matter what the cost or sacrifice. I think I totally took him by surprise when I said, "Yes. I would REALLY, REALLY like a bird feeder." I think he was about as surprised as when I asked him for tree for the backyard on my birthday.

You see, previously I had a little rose garden and fountain in the back yard which attracted the birds. I would watch out the kitchen window while eating breakfast and see the birds taking a bath and getting a drink in the fountain. The tree was an additional attraction for the birds when it was planted. Now that winter had brought snow and ice to Tehachapi, the fountain froze over and the birds disappeared. I thought a bird feeder would bring them back. I realized how much I missed watching those birds each morning.

Jim responded to my request by building me a bird feeder. That made this gift even more special to me. It was awesome!! He even provided me with twenty-five pounds of bird seed. The feeder did the trick. The birds returned in droves ... or I guess I should say "flocks". I broke the ice off the fountain each day that it formed so the birds could still drink and bathe. I had my birds back!

Now what does this all have to do with this morning's "brain dump"? Like I said, I was sitting there at the bar (kitchen bar), cereal bowl empty, and watching my birds. My mind was focused on the increasing number of birds that were showing up daily. This morning, for the first time, there was a beautiful new bird. It was larger than the rest with a black head, red breast, and black and white wings and tail. Its' mate with the same but subdued colors was also there. I just sat and watched for I don't know how long when all of a sudden I nearly screamed to myself, "What are you doing?" You've got so much to do today; why are you wasting your time?" That's when the reflection came. Wasn't it just a few months back, after my mini stroke, that I promised myself I would take time to "smell the roses"? Life is just to short to pass up these fleeting minutes of little pleasures that make life joyful. Didn't Heavenly Father say that "Man is that he might have joy"? Yet how often do we fail to take time to appreciate and enjoy all the wonders around us bear testimony of God's love for His children.

This morning I sat there in the kitchen and "smelled the roses" without another single feeling of guilt.

1 comment:

Deb Davi said...

LOVE your stories! Your family is truly blessed to have these documented. I am 40 with 5 young children and am putting my memories in a book with some pics, my kids don't get it now, but I hope someday they will. I wish i had the stories of my Grandparents.
God Bless you