Sunday, January 18, 2009

I Love You, Mom


Today has been a day of reflection and sweet memories.  My thoughts have been of my mother who would have been  100 years old today had she lived.  But her life ended fifty-five years ago, just five months after I was married.  And that was ten years longer than the doctor had predicted because of her badly damaged heart.  It was her strong faith, her love of family, and her desire to see her four children safely raised and taught correct principles that kept her alive, or so her doctor said.  She trusted that job to no one else.  And although it always bothered her that she was physically unable to care for many of our physical needs, she was an incredible teacher and lived what she taught.  She was always my exemplar and role model.
Mom loved the Lord and His gospel.  Her testimony never wavered throughout her years of illness.  She was willing to accept His will regarding her life, but always prayed that she could live long enough to finish her role as a mother.  Mom lived to see two of her daughters married to worthy men in the temple and the third engaged to marry a returned missionary.  She knew and approved of all our chosen companions.  But she died when my little brother (her only son) was just fourteen years old.  It was very difficult for him, but she had taught and prepared him well.  He married in the temple to a wonderful girl (Mom would have loved her), was a stake president for nine years, served a mission with his wife in England, and today is a Patriarch. Mom would have been so proud of him.
Thanks, Mom, for all you taught me and for all you sacrificed for me.  I know now how hard  your life must have been...how much more you would have liked to do for your family.  But you did everything that really matters in this life.  You taught me love of my Savior and love of His restored church.  You taught me to pray in faith and to expect answers.  You taught me integrity, service, how to work, and how to sacrifice.  You taught me who I am and what I could become.  You taught me patience and long suffering.  And you taught me how to be a loving wife and mother.  I like to think that somehow you had an influence there in Heaven in sending down the very best of Heavenly Father's waiting spirit children to our home, because we certainly got the best. You would just love them all. 
I can just imagine you now, young, beautiful, healthy, and enjoying the work you were unable to do on earth.  You always wanted to do missionary work with your dad, and I bet you are a dynamic duo in Paradise.  And I know you are happy to be reunited with Dad, with your mom and all your siblings.  And how special that you have one of your daughters with you as well.  (I miss you, too, Georgia.)    
I love you, Mom.  You were the best!  I only hope that you are proud of me...that I have lived up to your expectations.  Happy 100th birthday.

No comments: