Sunday, August 10, 2008

We're Halfway There

We had reached the half-way mark of Jim's college education and we knew now that we could finish. We both had the determination not to quit no matter how difficult the challenges would become. I know I have talked about some of the difficulties I faced, but I know Jim probably faced even more even though he never complained. Someday I hope I can convince him to write about his own thoughts and feelings at this time. As I look back, I don't know how he did all that he did to support the family, do all the school work that was required, and still remain sane...and maintain a positive attitude.

Did I help Jim with his homework to take away some of the pressure? Only once. It must have been in his freshman year when he had to take an English class. English is usually not a male's favorite class, and it certainly wasn't Jim's. But it was required so he struggled through it. But when he was required to read the book "Billy Bud" and write a themed report on it, he just didn't have the time or the writing skills (so he thought) to finish this project. Even though I had never read the book, he asked me to help him. He hadn't read the whole book either, so we just skimmed over it together, shared ideas about we thought the theme was, and I wrote the paper. He was thrilled to get a "B" on the paper, and frankly, so was I. After that, things just got to technical in all of his class so I wouldn't have been able to help him if he asked. But he never did.

Some memories of that that third year in school include:
  • Jeanie's love for her new little sister. She constantly piled her toys on top her when she was awake.
  • Jim's first display of his creative ability when he turned an old army bunk bed (one he slept in as a teen) into a bed when Debbie got too big for the cradle and needed Jean's crib. He made a padded head board that was curved and scalloped to make it more "girlish".
  • Jeanie getting so lethargic and just lying around on the floor. We took her to the doctor because we thought she was ill only to discover that it was because she missed her daddy. His schedule had changed and he was not longer able to come home for lunch at noon when he would always play with her for a few minutes. The doctor assured us that children were very versatile and quick to adjust to new situations, and Jeanie did. She was soon back to her old happy self.
  • Going to church alone when Jim had to work. It was no fun juggling two little ones by myself. No one seemed to notice my struggles nor offered to help.
  • Working as a member of the "Homemaking Board" of Relief Society where we did a lot of crafts back then. I had to come up with a ideas and then implement them. It was so difficult because it required that I purchase materials ahead of time and I just didn't have the money or the transportation to be able to do that. Sisters would pay back the money at the activity (sometimes) but I just didn't have the money to put out up front.
  • Working in the nursery during Relief Society, a paid position, to bring in a little extra money. R.S. was held on a week day.
  • A once-in-while treat of a Dairy Queen sundae when Jim had a rare night off.
  • A New Year's Eve "celebration" when Jim returned home from work. I wanted to celebrate with him in some way. So I set up a table in the living room with a table cloth and candles, turned on the TV to watch the New Year arrive across the country, and snack on the only "snackable" food I could find in the house...saltine crackers and avocado. It turned out to be a humble but romantic evening for us. I always used to wonder how poor people could really be happy. I learned how that evening.
  • But the most wonderful but scary event happened in February of that third year.
STAY TUNED!!!

No comments: