Sunday, May 11, 2008

"Who Are These Children Coming Down?"

The last few weeks have been wonderfully extraordinary for me with the birth of three beautiful new special spirits into our family. First there was grandson, Wesley, born on April 12 to Carrie and Todd, followed my great granddaughter, Jaycee, who arrived on May 2. Her parents are Rachael and Rod Gardner. Then just six days later another granddaughter, Sierra, joined the Lea and Paul's family. Another great granddaughter is due to arrive in August. Looking at these new little babies either in person or by the miracle of the internet
has set me to thinking about the miracle of birth, about who these little spirits were in the pre-existence and pondering about the missions they were assigned to perform before they left the presence of our Heavenly Father. This I do know...all of them are valiant spirits who earned the right and were ordained to come to the earth at this time to perform a special mission, to usher in the second coming of the Savior. This is true of all those born in this generation. Each may have a different role to play in this great mission which will only be known to them through personal revelation. What an awesome task you parents have to teach, influence, and prepare these children to be worthy to receive this special guidance and revelation that comes through the Holy Ghost. Through your teachings and example they must learn to love the Lord that they will be called to serve. I'm sure each one of you feels the great responsibility that lies on your shoulders. But knowing each one you, I know you are up to the task and will do all you can to be good...no...GREAT parents.

How privileged we are to live in these last days to see the gospel spread to the far corners of the earth, to see revelation being fulfilled, and to know the hour of Christ's second coming is "close at hand" as the scriptures state. How privileged we are to welcome into our homes these "Saturday's Warriors" who are so smart, who have such strong personalities (they're going to need them), and who have come to us with special gifts, and talents which are necessary for them to fulfill the mission they have accepted. And it is not by accident that they came to you. The Lord placed these children in the homes where He knew they would have the best chance to succeed. He trusted you to love, nourish, and prepare the most noble of His children.

When I see these new, precious little ones, and know who they really are, I stand in awe. I am so grateful that the members of this family have been chosen to be part of God's great plan for these last days. I am grateful to be part of this family who love and support each other. The great responsibilities and inadequacies that we all feel at times are made easier when we know we have such a strong help and support system we have through family when we need it. God bless you all for that.

Today is Mother's Day, and although you may know that this is not my favorite holiday for reasons I have mentioned before, today has been wonderful because I have taken the time to reflect on all the blessings I have experienced because of being a mom. Sometimes it takes a lifetime before you really realize that it has been the family, especially your children who have brought you an understanding as to what JOY really means. There are a lot of bumps along the way, but they become just little molehills when you reach the end of the parenting journey and the fruits of your efforts begin to appear in the lives your children lead. I feel truly blessed this Mother's Day as my thoughts have been directed toward my sons and daughters all of whom are now parents and can understand what I'm saying. This has truly been a lovely day. And yes, your dad made me the traditional white carnation corsage, brought me breakfast in bed (eggs Benedict, no less), and cooked a wonderful dinner for me (chicken cordon bleu and strawberry shortcake). What a great husband and father he has been! And today I felt the spirit of my mom very close today and I know that she loves me and forgives me even if I did miss her last Mother's Day on earth. I feel at peace.

No comments: