Saturday, February 2, 2008

A Day For Reflection

I just spent the morning watching the funeral of our beloved prophet, Gordon B. Hinckley. As I listened to speakers reflect on his life, his many contributions to the growth of the Church, his love for all mankind and his humanitariun efforts to help those suffering throughout the world tears began to flow. My reaction surprised me. Why was I feeling this sudden sadness and loss when I was totally aware of all his accomplishments? I knew how much he missed his beloved wife, Marjorie, and now they were together, never to part again. How joyous is that? And, after all, he was ninety-seven years old; his whole life spent in the service of God and His church. He, above anyone I know, was so ready to meet his Maker. I'm not concerned about who can ever take his place for I know that God has already prepared his successor and the work will go on. Then why do I feel this pain in my heart?

As I took time to think and reflect upon the stories I heard today about this this great man I think what touched me most was not the many things he instituted or accomplished but the man that he was. He was intelligent, a great communicator, a lover of education and the arts. He was loving, compassionate, kind, and gentle. Yet he could also speak with great conviction and warning when counsel was needed. He had a wonderful sense of humor ans was the eternal optimist. He was truly a prophet of God. I realize now how much I really loved him and what an impact he has had on me during these last thirteen years. He was a prophet with whom we had had a personal contact. I'm sure that made my feeling of loss greater than I had expected. He was my stake president when I was a teenager. Jim worked on his car when he was a teenager and often drove him home when his car had to left to be worked on. It was President Hinckley that asked Jim at church the Sunday before he was about to go over seas if he had been ordained an Elder yet. When Jim answered, "No", he immediately took him to a classroom, interviewed him, presented his name in sacrament meeting and had him ordained right after church by a member of the high council. President Hinckley was present and participated.
He has always remembered the Mortensen family and on occasion when Jim had contact with him, he would ask, "What are you doing, Jim?" and then ask about other members of the family by name. I didn't have as close a relationship as did Jim , but I knew how much he meant to him and I couldn't help but feel that love through him. I have had President Hinckley's picture on my desk for several years... Jim's, too, and both have been inspirational to me.

As I continue to reflect on other prophets that have touched my life, I realize that I personally remember all but the first six, beginning with Heber J. Grant. I remember him mostly because my mother used to tell me stories about his life...his throwing baseballs against the garage door to become a better pitcher, how he learned to sing (at least carry a tune), and how he practiced and practiced to not only improve his penmanship but to become a recognized penman. She used him as a role model for my life. I don't remember much about George Albert Smith except as I child I thought he was kind of funny looking...long skinny face and big round glasses. David O. McKay, I thought, was the very image of what a prophet should look like. His white hair, tall stature, and kind face always impressed me. My fond memories of him include his coming to our ward on Mother's day when my mother was there in a wheelchair. He took time to personally talk to her and take a picture with her. That picture will always be treasured. The sterness and seriousness of Joseph Fielding Smith scared me a bit. Harold B. Lee, although being president for only a short time, always held a special place in my heart because he married us and gave us some special counsel that I will always remember. I loved Spencer W. Kimball for his "Just Do It" counsel, and for his courage in overcoming major disabilities in his life. He was also Jim's stake president when he lived in Texas. Ezra T. Benson always seemed a little strict to me, and some of his counsel offended some in the church. I heard comments about him that disturbed me such as "He is just an old man and out of touch with the real world", but I knew in my heart he was only saying what the Lord needed us to hear. And I know he had to be firm about it in his own way. I remember shortly before he passed away he was at an area conference in Santa Barbara which we attended. My heart went out to him as he struggled to communicate with the people and lost his ability to speak coherently. His aids had to stop him. We learned later that he was developing a medical problem and would shortly pass away. My experiences with John Hunter when I was a stake Relief Society president were special. He came to a stake conference, and I remember him walking down the aisle of the chapel very slowly using a cane. He seemed so old and tired. We were privileged to prepare lunch for him and the stake presidency between sessions. President Hunter invited our families to join him after lunch so he could meet them and shake hands. That was really special. It wasn't long after that he also passed away and Gordon B. Hinckley became our president and prophet.

What a special blessing it has been for me to have known so many great leaders of our church and to have been the recipient of their great teachings and counsel. I thank my Heavenly Father for the blessing of having prophets to lead and guide us through our journey here on earth. I bear testimony that Christ leads and guides this church through his servants, the prophets, whom he has prepared and tutored to direct His work here on earth, each according to the needs of their times. I give thanks to Him for being privileged to belong to His true church and for my faithful progenitors who have made great sacrifices and taught me well that I can partake of this great blessing. My greatest desire now is to be faithful to the end that I may be worthy to meet my Savior and have him say to me, "Well done, thou good and faithful servant".

No comments: