Friday, January 18, 2008

The Excitement Begins

January, 1954, was a special month! Jim was given his "return to the states" date which was the first of April. We could now set a wedding date, and we did - May 7. I could now begin planning in earnest. The first thing I did was to contact LeGrande Richards, an apostle, and also a good friend of my father. Although it had been many years since he had been my dad's bishop and mission president, they had remained in contact over those years. We asked if he would be available to marry us on that date, and he said he "would be delighted". One thing taken care of. Next, I picked out colors and patterns for bridesmaids dresses. I loved the color lavender so decided to have my bridesmaids in shades of that color beginning with purple and getting lighter and lighter down the line. (It was years later that I found out that Jim hated those colors). I chose four bridesmaids...my two sisters and two close friends, Heather Thurman, and JoAnne Starr. My niece, Maurine was to be my flower girl.

Since a date had been set for our wedding, the bishop gave me a recommend to go to temple for the first time. This would give me the opportunity to return several times before our temple marriage. Jim had already been endowed before he left to go overseas. I was so glad that my mom felt well enough to go with me that day. I think she would have gone even if she had had to crawl there. That was how important it was to her. I do remember that she was in bed all the next day because she was so worn out which really made me appreciate her great effort and sacrifice even more. Although I didn't understand it all, I felt a spirit there that I had never felt before. I still feel that same spirit every time I return to the temple, and each time I go I understand more and more. I don't feel too bad about not understanding it all as yet because even the prophet, Gordon B. Hinckley, says that he learns something new every time he goes. My temple experience was the highlight of the exciting and busy month of January.

The next few months were very busy ones. Besides working and going to school I began working on a trousseau for myself. I really didn't have too many nice clothes. Clothes had never been a big priority in my life. But now I wanted something nice to wear to the temple on my wedding day...something store bought. I had always made most of my clothes. I went to an upscale store, Auerbachs, in Salt Lake for the first time. I was almost afraid to go in, and when I did I felt a little (no, a lot) out of place. I was alone, and I didn't even know where to go look. But somehow I walked out with a beautiful navy blue faille suit with a a white collar studded with pearls and rhinestones. I loved that suit although I felt guilty about paying so much. I finished the outfit with a navy blue hat (hats were really "in" at the time), navy blue shoes with white stitching, and white gloves. This was what I would wear to the temple on my wedding day. I also bought a grey wool suit with a black velvet collar when the Utah Woolen Mills were selling off their winter stock. I got a great deal on that suit, and it also became one of my favorites. I wore if for quite a few years. The rest of my trousseau was home made and consisted of a skirt, blouse, a dress, and, of course, a nightgown (long and with sleeves) and a sheer negligee to go over it. No one (at least in my circle of friends) would even think of buying or giving as a gift the things I see at bridal showers today. It took me a while to appreciate how lingerie can spice up a marriage.

My biggest dilemma right now was what to do about a wedding dress. I knew I couldn't afford to buy one, and I didn't feel competent enough to try and make one. And besides, when would I have the time? I only had a few months left before my wedding day and I still didn't have a clue what I would do. I had purchased and delivered satin fabric and patterns to my bridesmaids, but I had nothing for myself. I tried to put it out of my mind while I tried to work on the rest of my preparations...reserving the building for the reception, flowers, pictures, decorations, etc. And I prayed a lot.

No comments: