Sunday, October 7, 2007

Spiritual Feast

My, how with age comes increased knowledge and understanding, increased faith in and testimony of the Savior and His restored church, and an increased desire to learn at the feet of God's chosen prophets, seers and revelators. As I listened to the sessions of general conference this weekend, my thoughts drifted back to my early childhood and up to my teen years. I hated those conference weekends. It meant spending hours sitting on the couch, listening to "boring" talks on the radio which I couldn't understand nor appreciate no matter how many times my mom told us kids what a privilege it was to be instructed by living prophets. I could tell that SHE was drinking in every word but not me. I'm sure she hoped that at least we could feel the Spirit as these men spoke if we couldn't understand the words, but I didn't. On occasion, especially when we got a little older, Dad would take us down to the temple grounds for one or more of the conference sessions, and if we got there early enough we were even able to get inside the tabernacle. I admit that I really enjoyed that a whole lot more because you could actually see the speakers and the tabernacle choir as they sang, and I have to admit that I could even feel a special spirit that was there. I remember standing and singing, "We Thank Thee O God for A Prophet, as the prophet entered the building. That's when I really felt something very special. There was even a very spiritual feeling that permeated the beautifully manicured temple grounds during conference sessions. I loved being there.

When I started seminary in high school, my understanding and testimony of the gospel increased and I became more interested in what the leaders had to say, and I listened more carefully to conference talks. I have to admit, however, that I still would often fall asleep. Maybe being able to wear pajamas while I listened had something to do with it. And although television had been invented, only the more wealthy could afford it. That excluded us, so we still had to listen on the radio. Once in a while a group of friends would get together and go to the tabernacle to attend conference. I remember going with Jim several times.

As I listened this week to these special spiritual men and women speak, it struck me as to how fast the time went. I didn 't want the sessions to end. I felt so uplifted, my soul so spiritually fed and enlightened. The Spirit so strongly confirmed the truthfulness of the words they spoke, and I felt such gratitude to my Father and to Jesus Christ for giving me the opportunity to hear and accept the gospel. I also felt a debt of gratitude to my progenitors who received this message and remained faithful, giving me the opportunity to be born under the covenant. Although we all at some time have to gain a testimony of our own, I feel they gave me a head start by making it possible for me to grow up in a gospel centered home. I know now how my mother felt when she tried to help us feel the importance of listening to those "boring" talks.

As I tried to remember all of the prophets that I have been privileged to hear over the years, I remember at least nine beginning with Heber J. Grant. That was the first one that I remember. The others were George Albert Smith, David O. McKay, Joseph Fielding Smith, Harold B. Lee, Ezra Taft Benson, Spencer W. Kimball, Howard W. Hunter, and Gordon B. Hinckley. I don't know if they are in the right order or if I left one out. Ask your Primary kids. They will know.

I want all of you to know how much I love the Lord...how much He has blessed me over the years. I stand in awe at the love and peace he has brought into my life and to lives of my family. I have a renewed desire to serve Him and to remain faithful to the covenants I have made. May this be your goal, too. I love you all.

No comments: