Wednesday, September 19, 2007

My Sophomore Year

Although I was still a little apprehensive about starting high school, my sister, Georgia, had prepared me somewhat as to what to expect. She was a senior this year, as would have been my sister, Claire, had she not gotten married that summer. Claire was a year older than Georgia, but had been held back a year in elementary school. She married a returned missionary whom she
had dated a few times before his mission. (I had been a bridesmaid.)

I enjoyed my classes, especially art and orchestra. The arts department at Granite was exceptional. They put on a class A musical production every year which involved the students in the art department painting all the scenery and the music department providing all the vocal and instrumental music. There was SO much talent at that school! This year's production was "Song of Norway", the life of Edvard Grieg. Because I was in the orchestra we practiced the music for months, and how I loved it. But because I had begun to work after school, I was unable to be at all the practices so I wasn't allowed to play for the actual performances. But I did volunteer to usher so I could just be there each night and listen to that beautiful music. I give credit to the music department, especially the orchestra for developing in me a love for classical and semi-classical music.

Just a few months after starting school, I was able to get a job at Dunford Bakery in Sugarhouse where my sister, Georgia also worked. With a work permit, fifteen year old students were allowed to work. (I was fifteen) Permits were issued by the school dependent on
having and maintaining good grades. On the days that I worked I would take the public bus to work and to home afterward. I was now expected to buy all my own clothes and pay all my own expenses. That was OK with me as it gave me a feeling of maturity and independence which all teens want. It also gave me valuable experience in managing money, setting goals, and establishing priorities.

Did I have a favorite teacher that year? Yes. It was Mrs. Hollingsworth who taught American History. I loved her philosophy of teaching. It seems that she had a personal relationship with every student. Each one felt that they were the most important...that she really cared about you. I think what I like the most was that she never failed anyone on a test. She believed and often stated that the things you miss on a test are the things that you will most likely always remember. Tests were a teaching tool for her, so she would always give you a second chance to pass it. With my last "boyfriend", Nick, in California and with no "going steady" commitments, I actually went on a few dates that Sophomore year. To mention a few and the outcomes:
  • Laurence (Laurie) Lyon - ( If you look, you will see his name as a composer or arranger of some of the hymns in our LDS hymnbook.) Knew him since grade school. Took me to a movie on a bus...too young (15) to drive. Had wandering hands. Never dated him again.
  • Warren Burton - Fellow cello player in the orchestra. From a well known musical family at the time. Several OK dates. Invited me to his home for dinner one Sunday. Mom left to run errand. Asked us to watch rolls in oven. Rolls burned. Never dated again.
  • "Tooele" guy - Can't remember his name or how I met him since he was from Tooele. Asked if he could come see me on Sunday. (First "date") Totally forgot he was coming. Went for a drive but ended up at a movie. Yes, it was Sunday. Felt so guilty that I let him talk me into going that I didn't ever want to see him again. (My parents never knew)
  • My sweet Jim - When he saw I was dating other guys (he hated them all) he asked me to a Seminary dance at the Old Mill in East Mill Creek Canyon. The " Old Mill" was just that...an old lumber mill that had been restored and used as a reception or multi-use hall). Had a wonderful time! Drove me home from school several times after that and even let me drive the car even though I had never driven before. (Must have a great guardian angel...either him or me!)
Highlight and biggest disapointment of my Sophomore year was when our great basketball team played for the state championship at the University of Utah. I love sports and had gone to as many football and basketball games that I could. It was the most exciting game I have ever watched, but we lost in the last few seconds. I thought I would never get over that loss. This was MY team. It was the only time that any of our sports teams went to state finals while I was at Granite.

No comments: