Monday, August 20, 2007

My First Crush

I had a beautiful blond sister, three years older than me, who attracted boys like ducks to water. When she was just fifteen or sixteen years old you could their eyes following her as she walked by. And it was not just the teenagers with raging hormones either. "Older" men, who I'm sure thought she was older, were known to start up a conversation and even flirt a bit with her at church. I being the age of twelve or thirteen at that time thought it was disgusting...that is until Wesley Bowen entered her life. He was from England, good-looking with dark wavy hair, and in his early twenties. I "fell in love". I loved his English accent, his impeccable manners, his friendliness to little sisters and even the black sedan he drove. (I have no idea the make.)

Wes, as we called him, would come to the house really often, even on week days during the day. It never entered my mind to wonder what he did for a living that would allow him so much free time. To a more mature person this would have been a red flag...which only goes to show not only my immaturity (I was only twelve or thirteen. I WAS immature)) but the immaturity of my "old" sister. I remember walking home from the bus stop after school and praying that I would see that black car in the driveway of our new home. (We were still living in the basement at that time.) I would be so disappointed if it was not and so excited if it was.
I understood that this was my sister's friend, but I hoped and prayed he would still be around and available by the time I grew up. Claire, my sister, had so many boyfriends I knew she wouldn't mind giving this one up for me. Did I say prayed? Yes, I actually remember praying that Wes would wait for me to grow up so I could marry him. I said that prayer over and over.

Wes hung around for probably six to eight months and once even arranged a double date with one of his friends. I couldn't believe that he would risk a friendship by arranging a blind date with a thirteen year old. And I still can't believe my Mom would even consider letting me go. I guess she felt it was safe because my sister would be there and we would be going to a church dance - the annual formal Gold and Green Ball. Not only did I not own a formal, I didn't know how to dance. I'd never been to a dance before. We picked up a dress at Deseret Industries, the only resemblance to a formal being that it came to the floor. It was red and white striped cotton with a sweetheart neckline and puffed sleeves. Even my date was a little taken back by that dress. I remember him making a comment something like, "Is that considered formal dress in the United States?" (He also was from England.) I was so embarrassed. But not as embarrassed as I was later on when someone told me why my date was so shocked when in conversation I described someone as "queer". I could tell he was upset by my statement but I had no idea why, and he wouldn't explain. I was very young and even more naive. Even when it was explained that "queer" was a word connected with the gay community, I still had to ask questions. In my day that was a taboo subject and was never discussed openly. As you might expect, this was a disastrous first date. What were my parents thinking when they let me go?!!!! I wish they were alive to ask.

Wesley was the one who taught us (both my sisters and me) how to play Bridge. I think the only reason he included my sister, Georgia, and me was because a foursome was needed. I was used to playing games for fun, but to Wes it was very serious. He played to win, and if we made an unreasonable bid, he would get very upset...I mean REALLY upset. I don't remember much about how to play this game, but I do remember not having much fun because the man whom I "adored" ruined it by his win-win attitude and by his anger when we really didn't care. I began to see a whole different side of Wes that I really didn't like. My infatuation began to dwindle rapidly thanks to Bridge. And it wasn't long before I lost all interest...and so did my sister. She had met someone new, a nineteen year old who was getting ready to go on a mission. As for me, I was soon to meet someone else who would change my life forever.

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

Thanks for sharing this!

My question, though, is this: Why did he have all that free time? Did you ever figure out why he was always around? I'm just very curious.

Can't wait to hear the story about Grandpa!! :)

This is Carrie said...

I had the same question. What did he do all day and why did he hang out with such young girls? Stuff like that doesn't happen anymore.