Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Dreams Do Come True!

Tomorrow I leave for Hawaii! What is it about Hawaii that seems to make going there almost everybody's dream? Maybe it's because everyone that goes there comes back with pictures of green plush countryside, waterfalls, and flowers growing everywhere. Maybe it's because that is where so many couples honeymoon, so that must make it someplace very romantic. Maybe it's because it seems that everyone who goes there wants to return. As for me, I think the desire to go to Hawaii began as a child when my Uncle LeGrande (my dad's younger brother) returned home from a mission to the Islands bringing each of us girls a real grass hula skirt. We loved those skirts. We would stick a flower in our hair, swing our hips back and forth, wave our arms gracefully in the air, and for a while became beautiful hula dancers. By the way, that is another thing to love about Hawaii, the culture. That same uncle who grew to love the native islanders as well as the many Japanese people who lived there, returned to Honolulu as member of the US Navy. He was there when the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor in 1942. Fortunately, he was not on a ship at the time. I remember him telling us that as the planes flew over they were so low that many of the Japanese Americans working out in the fields began throwing potatoes at them. They were so hurt that their native country would do something so horrible.

As I grew older, I always had a desire to see this "mystical" wonderland. I used to say to my Jim, "Before I die the one place I really want to go is Hawaii." But as time passed, I realized that my chances were getting more and more slim. Jim was doing a lot of traveling for his work, including several times to Hawaii, and was getting very tired of it. He just didn't enjoy it any more. And with seven children at home, neither finances or baby sitting made such a trip realistic. As those deterrents became less of a factor, Jim's health problems became more of one. So little by little I let go of that dream. It became easier when plans were made to rebuild the Nauvoo Temple. My goal now shifted to visiting Nauvoo when the temple was finished. That seemed more within the realm of possibility because it wasn't so far away and Jim had never been there. I felt I could talk him into taking me there or if not I was sure I could tempt one of more of my young'uns to go with me. Debbie already said she would go. In fact, we talked about going this summer. That trip is now on hold, but not forgotten.

When Carrie called a month or so ago, her first words were, "How much money do you have saved, Mom?" "What?" was my answer. Then she explained this wonderful deal she found for a one week trip to Hawaii. She didn't push (too hard) but said to talk to Dad and think about it. With a lot of encouragement from both Dad and Carrie, and a lot of detail planning by Carrie, this once forgotten dream is now a reality. This is going to be one great Mother's Day except for not being able to talk to each of my special children who have made being a mother such a joy. I'll be thinking of you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see all your pictures on the family website. I hope to see one of you in a hula skirt....: )