Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Child Abuse?

Child abuse? We might have thought so when we were growing up. Child labor? Well yeah! We were children, and we were taught to work. We were part of family and as such were expected to contribute to the needs of that family. We probably had more responsibilities than most children of our day even though more was expected of all children back then than is expected today. Because of our Mother's limited capacity, my dad needed help in sustaining the needs of the family. Dad worked so hard and was so loving and protective of Mom. I will always respect and admire him for that. And he did try hard to make our lives as normal as possible, but he needed help, and we were it. Mom felt so badly that she was unable to do more, and I remember sometimes finding her softly crying in the bedroom on her "bad"days. We all know what those are, don't we. She tried hard to compensate for her lack of physical work by spending time reading to us, teaching us, talking with us and supervising our work. And she was the "spiritual giant" in our home.

Having this as background I will tell you of the daily and weekly chores that were required of us while we were of elementary school age. Before leaving for school breakfast dishes had to be cleared, rinsed and put in the sink for Mom to wash, our beds had to be made and the animals fed. When we came home it was play with J.D. so Mom could take a nap, weed our row in the garden, and pick a job from a list that Mother made out. These would be things like, sweep the kitchen floor, dust the living room, change the beds, etc. much like the lists you make today. Of course on Monday, we did the laundry. Mother did all the ironing because she could sit and do it on her mangle iron. For those who have never heard of a mangle iron it consisted of a large padded roller about three feet long that when activated by a knee control would roll and press against a heated back plate of the same size. You would put the article to be pressed on the roller and then activate it, pressing the article against the the metal plate as it rolled. It was absolutely amazing what mom could do with that iron. She did everything...Dad's white shirts, our dresses (even the ones with puffed sleeves) pants, jackets...yes, everything. When we got a little older, about eight as I remember, we girls ironed the pillow cases, sheets, and Dad's handkerchiefs on that iron. (Yes, we ironed sheets and pillow cases.) I remember once trying to do the ironing on the mangle for Mom to surprise her. What a joke! After scorching several items, I gave up. When we were a little older we began doing our own ironing with a regular iron. Almost everything that went into the wash had to be ironed back then. Mother also prepared dinner, but as most children do, we had to set and clear the table and do the dishes (no dishwashers).

Fridays and Saturdays were the "clean good" days. On Friday our room had to be cleaned good. That meant the beds had to be moved and the floor cleaned first with a dust mop and then on our hands and knees with a damp rag to finish the job. About once a month we had to clean the floor with a special a paste wax for hardwood floors. On Saturday, the rest of the house had to be cleaned. The kitchen floor had to be mopped on hands and knees with a paring knife in hand to scrape up stuck on "goo" and to get the dirt out of corners. The rug in the living room had to be vacuumed and the floors throughout the rest of the house (which were also hardwood) had to be dusted. And the bathroom had to be thoroughly cleaned. Mother always checked our work to make sure it was done right. Sometimes we also had to clean the animal cages, mostly the rabbits.

I'm sure we all complained, as children do today, that we were having to work too hard...but never in front of Dad. He grew up having to work hard, and was glad he had learned its' advantages in his life. I am glad, too, that I have learned the value of hard work. It has made my life much easier. That may not make sense to you now, but I guarantee it will some day. I think that it is great disservice to children when parents choose not to teach their children to work The work ethic in our society today is so sad. I see so many young people who want it all, but don't want to have to work for it.

I don't want to leave you thinking that my life was all work and no play...that I had no time to just be a kid. I definitely did, but that's another story.

5 comments:

tamrobot said...

I think you definitely instilled that work ethic into my Mom. I'm so grateful that she taught it to us as kids as well. It's so weird to me to see thoroughness, "pride in your work", or humility to do "grunt work" so rarely developed or valued.

Also, I got a dishwasher for Christmas after not having one for 2 years. It really made me appreciate modern-day conveniences!

Grandma said...

Tamra, thanks for your comments. I know that your mother is and has been a hard worker. I can honestly say that I don't think any of her siblings are lazy. They have all been very hard workers. I like to think that between Grandpa, who has always been an incredible hard worker, and myself, we were successful in teaching the children. And I am even more pleased that a good work ethic is being passed on to the next generation. And congratulations on your new dishwasher. I'm all for new technology that makes our lives a little bit easier.

Cheryl said...

Any advice on how to get kids to work?

I hate being mean to the kids, but it seems to be the only way to get them to clean anything up. I try different ways: helping them, giving them a time limit, taking away privileges, bribing, threatening, and sometimes yelling (when I'm out of ideas). I don't want to be a mother they fear and hate, but I know I need their respect. Grandma, how did you get your kids to work hard while they were little? Do you remember? And if not, what would you do now?

Grandma said...

Cheryl,
Don't think that your chldren are any different from any others. Ask any mother and they will tell you that they have the same frustrations. I think it is much hasrder for mothers today to teach children how to work because of the change in our society's structure. We don't live on farms or in an economic situation that require the family to all work to sustain the family. And we have have so many modern conveniences that do the work for us. Sometimes we now have to actually "make up" jobs for our children to do just to teach them how to work.

Having said that, I 'll pass on what I think is the very best way to teach children to listen and do. It is not my idea, but one I learned when I was teaching a parenting class. It came from the manual we were using, the name of which I can't remember and which I have loaned to someone. But I will get it from her and pass it on. I'll explain just a little here how it works and hope you will read in more detail from the book. It is all based on natural consequences which I feel is the method our Heavenly Father works on us. But let me tell you right now it isn't easy when you begin to implement it. In fact, you'll wonder if it is worth it. But let me tell you right now..IT IS. It is much easier to get control now than wait until you have teenagers and then try to get control. As Jim says, "You pay the price now or you pay later. And the price is much higher later."
This is how it works. First of all both parents must be in total agreement and both have to be supportive of each other and both have to be consistent. This is a MUST! Let's say you want the children to pick up their toys and they ignore you.
The second time you tell them you give them a choice such as: "You may either pick up your toys or I assume you don't want them any more and I will give them to Good Will" ...or " You may either put your toys away or I will take them and you are going to have to earn them back by...........whatever you dicide.. Then DO IT! Don't ever say anything that you're not willing to do, no matter how hard it may be for you. You may have to make some sacrifices. And it is very important that you do always use a calm voice no matter how far you're pushed. I guarantee you will have to follow through for a while until children learn you mean what you say. When they begin to scream when you take away the toys you calmly give them another choice: "You may quit crying or you may stay in your room until you do. Which would you rather do?" Remind them it is their choice. Then follow through. I can assure you it will be mighty tough at first. It is not always easy to come up with a "choice" that fits every situation. The manual is much better in giving you ideas and ways to implement this process, and I will get the name of the book to you. It is not a church manual, so it should be available in any book store. I wish I had known about this method in raising my kids, because I've seen it work. I made a lot of mistakes in teaching my children, and I did some things right. I did use rewards, work charts, and consequences for non performance. I've found out there is no one right way to raise children. There are many ways that work, and I believe in Mother's intuition. You can't go wrong in following that. And there is a Heavenly Father who wants us to succeed as well, so don't forget prayer. AND always use a soft voice when dealing with children, no matter how much you feel like yelling. Then when you do rarely yell, it really gets their attention.

Cheryl said...

Awesome. Thank you so much! I really needed this help. The nitty-gritty details of everyday life always get in the way and I needed a fresh perspective. These are wonderful things --I think Brandon and I will have a discussion tonight. :)